Catawba Regional Council of Governments (COG) is seeking an experienced planner looking for an opportunity to take their career to the next level. We are looking for a professional planner with experience working with municipal, county, and state governments or in the private sector serving these jurisdictions who can leverage their technical, writing, analytical, and presentation skills to help improve the communities that make up the Catawba region. The ideal candidate will also have experience developing scopes of work, contracting processes, project management, public engagement, management of consultant teams, review of invoices and reports, in implementation of planning studies consistent with federal, state, and local requirements.
Minimum qualifications of the successful candidate:
• Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Geographic Information Systems, or closely related field.
• Five (5) years of experience in urban or regional planning, monitoring, and reporting at the local or state level of government.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Conducts research, prepares and presents reports that communicate technical analyses, and makes a case for policy and other recommendations, as appropriate.
• Utilizes geographic information systems (GIS), computer modeling, and other technical tools and works as part of the GIS team.
• Knowledge of land use and transportation planning, policies, regulations, and best management practices.
• Plans, develops, and executes work programs for projects with a high impact level.
• Works constructively in teams.
• Ability to effectively use ArcGIS, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), and various social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.).
• Willingness/ability to attend evening and before or after-hours meetings of planning commissions, city and county councils, and other public groups.
• American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Master’s degree in Urban Planning, Regional Planning, Geographic Information Systems, Business/Information Systems, or closely related field.
• Experience in analytics, forecasting, population, and employment projection development.
• Eight (8) years of experience in urban and regional planning, monitoring, and reporting at the local or state level of government.
• Experience serving as a project manager for various work products, including small area and comprehensive plans, emphasizing GIS, effective public engagement, and using social media.
• Ability to effectively use Sketch-Up, Adobe Creative Suite, or other graphics-based programs.
Applications will be accepted until October 13, 2022. The position is open until filled.
Please submit resumes with a cover letter. Candidate materials may be submitted online (PDF only) to AChitwood@catawbacog.org or via U.S. mail to:
Catawba Regional Council of Governments
P.O. Box 450
Rock Hill, SC 29731
Attn: Amy Chitwood