Recognizing contributions of individuals, agencies, organizations, local governments, or private companies within the State of Alabama who have completed outstanding programs or projects or have made notable contributions to the planning profession.
Awards Notification and Recognition
The Alabama Chapter American Planning Association (ALAPA) announces its 2020 Awards Program to be held in conjunction with the joint Alabama-Mississippi Chapter Conference at a time and place to be named.
Award recipients, along with the nominators, will be notified of the award selection in advance of the annual meeting. We ask that award recipients make every effort to be present to receive the awards at the Awards Ceremony. The award recipients will be provided an opportunity to make some brief remarks following a presentation of the award nomination by the Awards Committee.
Distinguished Leadership Awards
- Kenneth J. Groves Jr., Professional Planner
- Richard L. Platt Career Achievement Award
- Distinguished Leadership Award for an Appointed Public Official
- Distinguished Leadership Award for an Elected Public Official
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student Team
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student
- Dr. Robert J. Juster, Friend of Planning
- Chapter Leadership Award
Outstanding Planning Awards
- Outstanding Media Coverage Award
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Comprehensive Plan for Communities with a Population Under 50,000
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Comprehensive Plan for Communities with a Population 50,000 or More
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Plan or Planning Program for Communities with a Population under 50,000
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Plan or Planning Program for Communities with a Population 50,000 or More
- Outstanding Planning Award for Project or Implementation Tool
- Franklin M. Setzer Outstanding Urban Design Project Award
Completed 2021 nomination submissions must be received by August 6, 2021. Submissions may be mailed or hand-delivered to any of the above committee members in accordance with the deadline (date and time) established. Due to the time necessary for program preparation, no exceptions for receiving nomination submissions beyond the set deadline can be made.