The City of Alexandria is seeking applications for their next Director of Transportation & Environmental Services. The Director provides the overall leadership and strategic direction for the City’s transportation and infrastructure planning, environmental systems management, and public works development and maintenance. Reporting to a Deputy City Manager, the Director organizes and directs street, transit, pedestrian, bicycle, sewer infrastructure planning; maintains City streets (including snow removal), sidewalks, waterways, storm and sanitary sewers, bridges; provides food waste programs, refuse collection, disposal and recycling services; manages air, noise, water quality issues; oversees the provision of transit services; maintains traffic signs and signals; reviews and oversees private sector development related infrastructure; plans for street, highway, transit, pedestrian, bicycle, storm sewer and sanitary sewer, and bridge infrastructure.
• Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering, urban planning, environmental science, public administration or a related field is required. Candidates possessing an undergraduate engineering degree and a Master’s degree in one of the aforementioned academic disciplines will be viewed favorably.
• Eight (8) years of experience in the public works or planning field at a level equivalent to a division chief; and at least three years of senior supervisory experience.
• Extensive experience in complex urban transportation planning similar to Alexandria; in environmental and infrastructure systems management; in public works operations; and in proactive civic engagement is highly desired.
• The selected candidate should have a proven track record of successful implementation of best practices in transportation infrastructure, environmental systems management & related fields.
• If selected candidate is an Engineer, possession of, or ability to obtain within six months of hire (or next testing date) a VA Professional Engineers License (P.E.) or AICP designation is desirable.
Compensation & Benefits
The starting salary is competitive and is based upon the background and qualifications of the successful candidate. The expected hiring range is $150,000 – $200,000 for a well-qualified candidate.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit by email a cover letter, resume, and at least five (5) job related references (with email and phone numbers) no later than COB on May 26, 2023 to Lisa Ward, Senior Associate at email@example.com. Please contact Mercer Group Associates: David Deutsch at 301-343-6033 or Lisa Ward at 706-983-9326 with any questions.