Nashville Planning Department
The Nashville Planning Department is seeking a creative urban and environmental designer for its Ecological Design Studio. It is an exciting time to join this team advancing resilient design and planning, sustainable growth, urban design, and resource conservation in one of the country’s fastest growing and most diverse metro regions.
We are looking for a team-oriented design professional, engineer, or planner dedicated to improving the public realm and connecting people to their environments. The ideal candidate will be experienced working at the intersection of natural systems and design—utilizing innovative, nature-based design solutions to solve complex challenges and bolster resiliency. They will be motivated to collaborate with a diverse constituency and able to communicate complex design ideas in graphic and verbal form.
• Design and develop graphics, maps, presentations, communication, and engagement materials that convey planning and urban design ideas
• Will work closely with two senior planners within the Ecological Design Division
• Research, analyze, and synthesize best practices, innovative solutions, and case study/precedent projects to urban design challenges
• Review projects for design quality and work with development teams to improve the design-quality of their projects
• Work jointly with other divisions within Metro Planning to provide ecological design expertise on projects
• Collaborate with community members and elected leaders on planning and urban design initiatives in their neighborhoods
• Develop design scenarios and offer design solutions to community planning and land development projects
• Bachelor’s degree years and 2 years of experience OR master’s degree in landscape architecture, environmental planning or engineering, natural resources, urban design, or related field.
• Fluency in nature-based design strategies & urban design best practices
• Proficiency in geospatial analysis utilizing ArcGIS
• Fluency in utilizing Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) to create compelling graphics, maps, presentations, and documents
• Proficiency with 3D modelling (SketchUp or Rhino)
• Professional certification or licensure in relevant field preferred (RLA, AIA, AICP, LEED AP, SITES AP)
• We strive for diversity in every aspect of work and encourage persons from all backgrounds to apply.
Salary & Benefits
Perks and Benefits
• Starting annual salary of $74,117
• Hybrid work week and flexible office environment
• Expansive suite of benefit options including paid family leave; medical, dental, and vision plans; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; MetroMax 457 retirement plan; flexible spending accounts; pension program; subsidized public transit; and more
• Support for qualifying professional licenses, certifications, and professional development hours
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness for qualifying loans. This is not a civil service position.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should email a letter of interest, resume, and a portfolio of work samples to: Randi Semrick at firstname.lastname@example.org (No Phone Calls, Please) Deadline to apply is 10/28/2023.