City of Hattiesburg
The Planner II position will assist the Planning Division Manager with issues related to current planning including site plan reviews, short and long range planning issues, and floodplain management. This position requires initiative, independent judgment and discretion in various duties; incumbent may deal on a continuing basis with sensitive issues and confidential information and materials; involves considerable contact with the public and staff from all City departments and deals with City codes.
Must possess extensive knowledge of modern land use theories, principles, and techniques of urban planning, zoning, land development, and legal due process; knowledge of laws and standards applicable to planning, land resource management, zoning, and the environment. Experience in reviewing site plans, subdivisions, plats, and zoning actions is necessary. Experience in floodplain management is a plus. Requires the ability to understand and utilize City ordinances and state laws; ability to compose and prepare effective correspondence; and ability to accurately proof facts and grammatical information are all a must for this position. Good communication skills for extensive public contact; ability to speak publicly and convey an array of information related to planning to the public; organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task are a must, as well as a positive attitude and eagerness to serve the public.
– Provide interpretation and administration of Land Development Code and Code of Ordinances.
– Manage current planning functions including Site and Design Review Committee (SDRC) processes such as site design review, subdivision and plat reviews, and pre-applications. Will work through the development process with applicants from start to permitting on all commercial and multifamily development with the aid of the SRDC.
– Assist the Planning Manager with long range planning. Will compile, analyze, prepare and maintain necessary records, correspondence and/or reports on zoning, land use, environmental issues and community planning. Assist and/or lead research, analysis and development of amendment proposals for the Comprehensive Plan, Land Development Code, and Code of Ordinances.
– Assist in floodplain management including the Community Rating System program (CRS).
– Represents the division, relative to planning matters, at meetings for local and regional boards, committees, and commissions other advisory groups as directed by the Planning Manager.
– Assist with all phases of public involvement, including advising the public on materials and documents necessary for application to the site plan review committee, planning commission, and city council as needed.
– Interpret maps, such as tax parcel, zoning, land use, topographic, flood, drainage and aerial photography.
– Performs related work and other duties as assigned. A master’s degree in urban planning, urban design, geography, or a related field preferred.
This position must have and maintain AICP designation or apply for the AICP designation within on year of hire. Must have considerable experience in county or municipal planning or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Should have knowledge of office procedures; should have experience with common computer programs such as Microsoft office, Publisher, Access, and GIS software. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Salary & Benefits: $55,000, great healthcare package including an employee clinic, PERS retirement
How to Apply: https://www.hattiesburgms.com/job/planner-ii/