The Alabama APA Awards Program recognizes the “best in planning” across the state. These are the award winners recognized in 2020.
DISTINGUISHED LEADERSHIP AWARDS
- Kenneth J. Groves, Jr. Distinguished Leadership Award for a Professional Planner: Dr. Jay Mittal, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Leadership Award for an Elected Public Official: Honorable Robert Craft, Mayor, City of Gulf Shores
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student Team: Makala Gibson and Keena Miles, Contribution to the Planning and Design of the Bussie Oil Company Property, a Brownfield Site in Pell City, AL.
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student: Joseph Neil Nisbett, Contributions to “Race, Power, and Parkspace: African American Recreation Heritage Interpretation Plan”
- Chapter Leadership Award: Mr. Dennis Madsen, Manager of Urban & Long-Range Planning
OUTSTANDING PLANNING AWARDS
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Comprehensive Plan for Communities with a Population over 50,000: City of Montgomery, Alabama | “Envision Montgomery 2040”
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Comprehensive Plan for Communities with a Population under 50,000: City of Pelham | “Plan Pelham: City of Pelham Comprehensive”
- Franklin M. Setzer Outstanding Urban Design Project Award: City of Madison, AL | “Downtown Streetscape Plus Project”
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Project or Implementation Tool: City of Birmingham and RPCGB | “Shape Bham: Healthy Communities Assessment Tool; City of Birmingham, AL and RPCGB”