2018 AL-APA Awards Recipients
The Alabama APA Awards Program recognizes the “best in planning” across the state. Nominations were bestowed at the 2018 AL/MS Annual Conference in the fall at the Oxford Conference Center in Oxford, Mississippi. Alabama APA is proud to congratulate our 2018 recipients listed below.
DISTINGUISHED LEADERSHIP AWARDS
- Kenneth J. Groves, Jr. Distinguished Leadership Award for a Professional Planner : Brandon S. Bias, Community and Regional Planner | Goodwin, Mills and Cawood, Inc.
- Richard L. Platt Career Achievement Award : James W. “Bill” Curtis, FAICP
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student Team : Spring 2018 Sustainable Transportation Planning Class – Auburn University Community Planning Program | “Highway 84 East Corridor Redevelopment Project for the City of Dothan, Alabama”
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student : Jay Howell | Auburn University Community Planning Program
OUTSTANDING PLANNING AWARDS
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Comprehensive Plan for Communities with a Population over 50,000 : City of Decatur | “One Decatur Comprehensive Plan”
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Plan or Planning Program with a Population over 50,000 : City of Auburn | “Northwest Auburn Neighborhood Plan”
- Franklin M. Setzer Outstanding Urban Design Project Award : City of Montgomery | “Dexter Avenue Revitalization”
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Project or Implementation Tool : City of Alabaster | “State Route 119 Overlay District”
STUDENT COMPETITION AWARDS
- First Place : Rajas Narendra Bhalerao | “Rejuvenate: Re-development of Opelika’s 1st Avenue”