2017 Alabama APA Award Recipients
The Alabama APA Awards Program recognizes the “best in planning” across the state. Nominations were bestowed at the 2017 AL/MS Annual Conference in the fall at the DoubleTree Hotel in Birmingham, Alabama. Alabama APA is proud to congratulate our 2017 recipients listed below.
DISTINGUISHED LEADERSHIP AWARDS
- Kenneth J. Groves, Jr. Distinguished Leadership Award for a Professional Planner: Dianne K. Irby, Executive Director, Engineering and Development, City of Mobile, Alabama
- Distinguished Leadership Award for a Planning Student Team: Spring 2017, Sustainable Transportation Planning Class, Auburn University Community Planning Program, “Prattville Parking and Pedestrian Management Plan”
- Chapter Leadership Award: Tom Magee, Chief Planner, City of Birmingham.
OUTSTANDING PLANNING AWARDS
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Comprehensive Plan for Communities with a Population over 50,000: City of Mobile, “MAP FOR MOBILE: FRAMEWORK FOR GROWTH”
- Outstanding Planning Award for a Plan or Planning Program: City of Madison, “City of Madison, Westside Master Plan”
- Franklin M. Setzer Outstanding Urban Design Project Award: Main Street Alabama, Inc., “Main Street Alabama Downtown Design Guide”
- Outstanding Media Coverage: Regional Planning Commission of Greater Birmingham, “B-Active Transportation Plan”
STUDENT COMPETITION AWARDS
- First Place: DeAndra Navratil and Amanda White, Auburn University, “Rural Greenway: Connecting Bike Paths, Street Plans and Open Spaces, City of Auburn, Alabama”
- Second Place: Jeran Herbert, Alabama A & M University, “Urbanization and the Metropolis: A Preliminary Spatial Assessment of the Growth in Urban Land in New York-NJ-Long Island Metro Region”