The Top of Alabama Regional Council of Governments (TARCOG) is a forward-thinking regional planning commission serving the fastest-growing region in the State of Alabama. TARCOG’s service area includes DeKalb, Limestone, Jackson, Madison, and Marshall counties in the beautiful Tennessee River Valley among the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. The TARCOG region is known for its extraordinary natural and cultural assets including several beautiful state parks, thriving historic downtowns, a growing high-tech economy, and an unrivaled quality of life. Located in the heart of Huntsville’s cutting-edge research park, TARCOG is seeking a vibrant Principal Planner to join our Economic Development & Planning (ED&P) team.
The Principal Planner is responsible for the solicitation, preparation, and submission of community and economic development grant applications; administration of the Rural Planning Organization (RPO) and related regional transportation planning efforts; and the facilitation of local comprehensive plans, downtown revitalization plans, multi-modal trail network planning, and other local and regional plans as assigned by the ED&P Director. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, project development; GIS mapping; administration of ARC, CDBG, EDA, and other state or federally funded projects; and related tasks as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Planning, Urban Studies, Public Administration, Civil Engineering, or Political Science, and at least two years of related post-graduate work experience.
- Transportation planning experience preferred.
- GIS mapping experience preferred.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills for preparing and presenting plans, grant reports, and other related projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills for facilitating relationships with local government officials and other regional stakeholders.
- Capacity to work on several projects or issues simultaneously while maintaining a high level of attention to detail and time management.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment as needed.
- Driver’s license and good driving record required.
Salary (based upon qualifications and experience): $49,233 – $54,586; Full benefits package.
** This job posting will remain Open Until Filled. **
For employment consideration, please email your résumés and a brief cover letter to email@example.com. Please indicate Principal Planner in your email subject line.
TARCOG is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).